One of my goals for 2017 is to try two new recipes a month and blog about them. Well this is my first recipe of 2017 so we are woking on it! haha. It has been a dream of mine for a while to have a blog full of healthy, delicious recipes that are easy and fast good! I LOVE food. And I LOVE food that is good for you.
This recipe is one of my absolute FAVORITES and it’s so good (ya’ll my husband even likes it, haha). I make this soup at the beginning of the week and put it into 5 small mason jars to last me for the entire week of lunches. It’s so easy and all you have to do is pull out a mason jar and stick it in your lunch box each morning and you are set! I’ll pack this soup, some veggies and hummus for a snack, and a piece of fruit and it keeps me full all day! One thing I love about this soup is that it has kale in it. Kale is extremely good for you and if you don’t really like the taste putting it in soups helps getting the nutrients down without the taste of it. I promise you can’t even taste it in this soup!
Here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!
- 1 medium sized organic onion
- 1 full bunch of organic celery chopped (I use the stems and all the green leafy parts as well)
- I bunch of organic kale chopped
- 1 pound or 2-3 organic chicken breast cut up into cubes
- 4 cups of organic chicken broth (I use the “Pacific” brand) or I have recently started using bone broth and it taste AMAZING!!
- 2 cups of water
- 1 can of organic cannellini beans (I use the Eden brand)
- 1 – 2 TBSP of organic olive oil or coconut oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 bay leafs
- freshly grated parmesan cheese and avocado to top **optional
- fresh limes **optional
- Salt and pepper chicken, cut in cubes, and set aside.
- Heat large pot with olive oil. Add the onions and celery and cook until soft (about 3-5 min).
- Add the chicken, water, broth, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- After 15 min add the beans and chopped kale. Let cook another 10-12 min.
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh grated parmesan and a slice of lime.
You can make this soup vegetarian by adding an extra can of beans and taking away the chicken. Sometimes I do it this way and it’s just as good! I also buy all organic ingredients when possible. You may choose not to go organic which is completely fine as well :)