Ya’ll, today is the first day of a brand new year, a new start, and a brand new beginning.
The start of a new year is always so refreshing to me. It’s a clean page in my journal. It’s a “try-again” and a representation of God’s amazing grace over my life.
I’ll be honest, I had a really hard time with goals this year. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I’m able to check something off the list, but 2016 has been different than any other year. I hate to even write this, but I think I failed at more goals than I accomplished.
I didn’t reach many of my goals and there were a lot that were left undone, but I did experience a major life change… I got ENGAGED!! It’s crazy how planning a wedding can change so much of your life. I’ve learned so much during this season. As challenging as it has been at times, I know I will look back and see how far I’ve come. It’s taught me contentment and strength, self-grace, and to really cherish the things that truly matter.
So instead of evaluating each goal I had from my last year list I decided that this time I would take a look back on 2016 and celebrate all that God has done.
– Led a team to Haiti and funded two water wells
– Learned photography
– Shot my first BIRTH by myself and newborn session
– 2nd shot my first wedding
– Traveled to Washington and stayed at the Delight House with the most amazing group of women
– Climbed a mountain
– Met Katelyn James Alsop and heard her story
– Took a cooking class
– EB retreat in North Carolina
– Bought a road bike
– Road trip to Telluride, CO for one of the most beautiful weddings
– Got ENGAGED!!!
– Left for Africa
– Met my dream photographer and took our engagement photos in AFRICA!
– Visited Dubai
– Made and cultivated some amazing friendships
– Started marriage counseling and completed our class
– Found our rental home
– Started serving in the children’s department at church
– Started planning my wedding
Honestly, as I look back tears come to my eyes. I’m so incredibly thankful for all the people who have played such a role in my life this past year. All the prayers and words of encouragement spoken over Matt and I have carried us and strengthened us. We’ve grown in ways that is ONLY God and it’s amazing to watch Him answer little prayers along the way. You know who you are and if you are reading this, thank you. Thank you for loving me and believing in me. Thank you for praying for me. I’m forever grateful.
And now for 2017 I’m committed to be diligent and self-disciplined as I make goals for myself. I think it’s so helpful in goal planning to write your goals down and then re-evaluate them each month. It helps you see where you are and where you need some work. So here are my goals for the year!!
– Read 10 books this year
– Cultivate a deeper spiritual life of prayer and fasting
– 10 minutes of daily prayer time
– Lead a small group out of our home
– Host worship nights
– Rebrand blog
– Blog 2x a month and goals at the beginning of each month.
– Get MARRIED!!!!
– Simplify and live a minimal life
– Run a marathon
– Grow photography business (birth, newborns, families, weddings)
– Get better at photoshop
– Make our house a home
– Create a prayer room in our home
– Start a small garden and learn all I can about gardening
– Try a new recipe once a month and create a recipe book
– Have dinner parties once a quarter
– Learn how to be a wife and serve my husband well
– Plan a trip back to Africa
– Start adoption process this year!!
– Vision cast for EB
– Do a contentment challenge after the wedding and read “Love Your Life, Not Theirs.”
– Listen to Dave Ramsey Podcasts monthly
– Weekly Sabbath
And now for my January goals!!
January 2017 Goals
– Begin with a 21 day fast (sugar fast)
– Read Sacred Marriage
– 10 min of prayer every morning
– Start back up marriage counseling
– Hot Yoga 3x/week
– Weights and running 2x/week
– Get to bed every night by 9 or 10
– Work on budget and listen to two Dave Ramsey podcasts
– Finish all the last things I have to do for the wedding!!
– Sabbath once a week
– Focus on prayer this month
– Spend a weekend with my girls
Here’s to 2017! I’d love to hear all of your goals as well if you’d like to share them below. I’m daily inspired by each of you and the goals you have for yourself!